"Lebay" Teacher

            “Lebay is my life. If you don’t like it, that’s fine. I never force anyone to love my style or even do like I do, because every person has different style”.  Those were words that ever came from my teacher’s mouth when one of the students asked why she taught the students in Lebay style. She was my ESP (English for Special Purpose) teacher in SMA. She was 29 years old (when I was in 3rd grade in senior high school) and a mother of four children. She had ever lived in Malaysia for long time. That’s why she has Malaysian English accent. The most important information about her is she is my inspiration teacher.
            The reason why I want to be an English teacher is because I believe that I can be like her, teach the students totally. I love the way she taught the students in my class, especially when she taught about drama. She changed her self into the character in the drama and she did it very well. Every student paid attention to her; no one spoke or even slept. I ever asked her why she always played the character totally although it was just an example for mini classroom’s drama. Then she answered, “When we act, on stage or not, the audience is still audience. Moreover, totalities are needed to be a teacher.” At that time, I felt like my heart was shaking. After that, I always say to myself that I want to be a teacher like her, the real teacher who teaches the student totally.
            Now, she is my sister’s ESP teacher. Once I asked my sister about the way she teaches. The answer is she is still the same and never changed. I hope someday I will be like her. Maybe I will also say “Alay is my life” (hehe I’m just kidding).

*Lebay means exaggerating 

2 comments:

Isti Subandini said...

hmmm :)
ohhh now i know the reason why you are very very very (say "VERY" using Endang's accent) Lebay..

I think become an alay teacher is very good in order to create good atmosphere for students.
It is also will create "character" of yourself in students' point of view.

Nur Amalina said...

Hahaha, yeah. I don't want the students become serious all the time.

Post a Comment